Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Quick Trip Out of Colombia

Just another reason why Fulbright is so sweet: they invited all of us to go to a conference in Mexico City with other Fulbrighters from Ecuador, Venezuela, and Mexico. It was great hearing all of their stories and sharing successes and frustrations with each other (plus, we stayed in a really sweet hotel that was awesome to explore.) It was my first time in the great city of the Distrito Federal and I loved it! It is huge, beautiful, and a nice break from heat heat heat! And, of course, I will always be partial to the food in Mexico.

Since I was already in Mexico, I took advantage of the time to go visit my family in Cozoaltepec, Oaxaca. I spent four days there playing with chamacos, learning to cook flan and make guacamole, bathing in the river, catching up with everyone in the town, and hanging out with my best friend, Chepe. We have had a special bond since I first went down there two years ago. We play hide and seek, build castles out of bricks we find in the backyard, play frisbee, have tickle fights, and hang around in the hammock. He is now a budding musician, learning to play the harmonica:


I simply love this kid! I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to go back and see him again.

Chepe, te quiero!

1 comment:

  1. Lani! It makes me soooo soo soooo happy that you get to go back and visit your family and friends in Cozo! I can't wait until my next trip to Puerto.

    Also...I'm thinking about applying for Fulbright. Any advice? suggestions? ...I should probably just email you. hehhe

    ReplyDelete