Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Visitors

I have been so lucky to have so many visitors while down here! I am honored to be able to share with people the beauty, diversity, and culture of Colombia. It is a country that many people in the United States misunderstand and prejudge unfairly. While drugs, guerillas, and Plan Colombia are a reality, it is not a visible part of everyday life. People shop in both street markets and Target-like grocery stores, ride donkeys or drive private cars, eat traditional rice and beans and fish or MacDonalds... it is obvious that globalization has effected Colombia, but it still has a strong and independent culture, and even within the country there is tremendous variation in food, language, and traditions.

So, thank you to...

my family

Gaby and Bert (not shown)

Erin and her parents (not shown either... sorry!)

Megan

Lindsey

...and Emily Scatterday (for some reason I have 0 pictures of our time together here)

for taking the time to enjoy and learn about a new far off place. I hope you have all been able to bring good experiences and attitudes back to the USA to share with everyone there what an amazing place Colombia is and how welcoming and warm the people are.

If there is anything you are interested in learning about Colombia, please feel free to ask and I can go into anything in more detail (as far as my knowledge and my experiences, I don't claim to be an expert.) And ask those pictured above for their stories as well! I am sure they would love to tell their stories!

Peace,
Lani

1 comment:

  1. I loved my time in Cartagena and Barranquilla!

    Thank you (and jota) for taking me to the Shakira statue!

    -Gaby

    p.s. I'm dieing to know what the next stop is on you're life as the eternal traveler.
    Cuidate y diviertate mucho.

    ReplyDelete