Monday, August 17, 2009

PIZZA!

Okay, so I know my first entry should be about the city and my first impressions, or how I am feeling knowing that I will be living here for the next year... but no, it is about pizza. I love pizza! My dad taught me how to make his own specialty pizza; in Argentina I learned to put hard boiled eggs on pizza; in Mexico I found out that everyone puts ketchup on their pizza (although that still grosses me out).

So, besides getting my visa, getting my Colombian ID, opening a bank account, looking for a place to live, trying to make friends, and preparing for teaching, I have taken it upon myself to find the best pizza in Cartagena. So far I must admit I have been thoroughly disappointed, but then again, I have not been digging too deeply in my pockets.

On my first day exploring the city I realized I had not eaten all day - heat does that too you, have I mentioned it is so so so hot? - and so I stopped by a little window that said, "Pizza y Gaseosa (pop) 3.000 pesos." Conversion rate is approximately $1 to 2.000 pesos. I thought that would be a great deal, but the pizza was crap. Hawaiian though.

I left that place unsatisfied, and even though I still wasn't hungry I figured I should eat more since eating is important. So, I found another place with a similar deal. No good. Some type of meat.

Third place I tried had great crust, super think and fluffy. The toppings were pretty good too - peppers, onions, ham, more things than I can remember. But it just didn't taste very good.

Fourth place was the best yet: onions, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, and green olives.

But I am still looking, because I just haven't found that one place that I am going to take everyone to that passes through Cartagena.

8 comments:

  1. this is one of the many lovable things about you Lani - always thinking with your stomach!! Good luck to you in Columbia. Looking forward to future blogs about your pizza and Gas :) i mean pop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful first post!
    Good luck with your quest.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm eewwwww brocili on pizza! well anyhow I hope your having fun and I look forward to seeing more posts! I love you verrryyyyy much!
    John
    P.S. Wheres the pictures! I want to see lots of pics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck finding good pizza. I am sure you will find some. Just be sure to try the super shady looking ones- ok? = )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me alegro mucho por ti que estes en Colombia ahora, la tierra de mi mama. Felicidades en todo. Gracias por compartir el blog. Cuidate. Ramon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to add that I asked a friend today where I can find the best pizza and he told me that he didn't like pizza. This gives me the idea that maybe there just is not good pizza around here and he doesn't know what he is missing out on... But I will persist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea you were got a fulbright to Colombia. That's freakin awesome. Congrats, have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LaMa!!!

    You should start making pizza and invite people over - they will go nuts over how amazing it is and then they will riot at the injustice of the state of pizza in Cartagena!!!!!!

    REVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete